A7sII Horizontal Noise in Slog ISO1600 to 10000

Post » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:56 pm

I'm noticing on my a7sII that the noise is very bad when using any s-log or ITU709(800%) gamma between ISO's 1600 and 10000. There is kind of a horizontal pattern to it. Strangely, it disappears and becomes cleaner at ISO 12800. I don't have the high iso noise reduction turned on. If I go back down from 12800 to 10000, 10000 is then clean as well, but if I go back down to 8000 and it's bad again.

I have a link to a youtube video illustrating that below.

From the test footage that others have put online, it seems that this camera should not be noisey at ISO's this low. Do I have a lemon camera? Can someone else test their camera in low light and see if you are also seeing this horizontal noise? Please let me know asap. I may be returning my a7sII if I can't get this resolved.

Link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dTbcih6rqyg

Spooky Angel

Post » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:33 pm

Cutting down on mechanical vibrations by 50% is the durable reduced-vibration shutter, which has been tested to 500,000 cycles. An electronic front curtain can be used to reduce vibrations further.
A Silent Shutter mode can be used to mute the sound of the shutter for working in quiet environments. Up to 5 fps shooting is possible with the silent shutter and the mode can be assigned to a function button for quick on/off switching.
The top, front, and rear covers of the body have all been made from magnesium alloy for long-lasting durability.
Enhanced Eye AF can be used with AF-S and AF-C focusing modes, and automatically detects and tracks a subject's eye for critical focus.
The Expand Flexible Spot function can be used with AF Area selections to intelligently expand the size of your selected focusing spot if it is not positioned on your subject.
Focus Magnifier and Peaking functions benefit working with manual focus and allow you to quickly confirm in-focus portions of an image when shooting stills or recording video.
White Balance settings can be fine-tuned for greater personal control over how a scene's colors are represented.
In addition to the included battery charger, the NP-FW50 battery can also be charged inside the camera via USB.
Adjustable Picture Profile parameters: Black level, Gamma (Movie, Still, Cine1-4, ITU709, ITU709 [800%], S-Log2, S-Log3), Black Gamma, Knee, Color Mode (Movie, Still, Cinema, Pro, ITU709 Matrix, White & Black, S-Gamut, S-Gamut3.Cine, S-Gamut3), Saturation, Color Phase, Color Depth, Detail, Copy, and Reset
Scene Selection modes: Portrait, Landscape, Macro, Sports Action, Sunset, Night Portrait, Night Scene, Handheld Twilight, and Anti Motion Blur.
Picture Effects: Posterization (Color, B/W), Pop Color, Retro Photo, Partial Color (R, G, B, Y), High Contrast Monochrome, Toy Camera, Soft High-key, Soft Focus, HDR Painting, Rich-tone Monochrome, Miniature, Watercolor, and Illustration.
Creative Styles: Standard, Vivid, Neutral, Clear, Deep, Light, Portrait, Landscape, Sunset, Night Scene, Autumn Leaves, Black & White, Sepia
Richard Dixon

Post » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:16 pm

Hi robertmethew. That's all good info, but I don't understand how it is relevant to my post?

Alex Vincent

Post » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:19 pm

Not only yours behave like this... Done some quick test and noise pattern are much different at 8k, 10k and 12k iso - have to test this more deeply, but looks like issue that sony will have to work on

Jani Eayon

Post » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:53 pm

I made another Video that is a little more clear to illustrate the issue, and also explores more iso's. See test 2 here: https://youtu.be/aB7WgSGY0YU Also, I did one in PP5-Cine2 gamma, and it is so much cleaner by comparison. See Test 3 here: https://youtu.be/d2yybsokLkc

Averielle Garcia

Post » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:07 pm

Could you upload somewhere oryginal files - youtube compression is making one big mess on them...?

Oyuki Manson Lavey

Post » Wed Nov 25, 2015 8:05 pm

You can download it via my dropbox with this direct link. It's a large file. It's about 1.4GB.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/vsij4c1dvhvkoq6/A7sII_NoiseTest2.MP4?dl=0

I'll keep it up for a while, but eventually I'll need to pull it down for file size reasons.

Elena Alina

Return to Cameras & Camcorders