BDP-S570 - wont connect to the internet via wifi

Post » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:43 pm

I just purchased this today and it will not connect to the internet via wi-fi. I am entering everything in correctly (My iphone, ipad, and computers all connect fine). I called tech support and they had no idea about anything. I then connected it with an ethernet cable, updated to the lastest firmware, and tried again with no luck. Does anyone have any suggestions? It shows that the wireless is OK, but Internet Access- Failed. When I return to the prompts and have it scan the available networks it shows that I'm connected...something is weird. I'm returning this if I can't get it to work in the next day or so.
gemma

Post » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:24 pm

Network issues can definitely be hard to diagnose.
here are some helpful steps to verify where your problem is.

Check IP address: is it 192.168.x.xx ? or 169.xxx.x.xx
if you have a 169 address its a false connect.

what kind of network do you have? is it a Modem/Router combo? is it a modem connected to a router and then to your Blu ray player.

the Modem/Router combos are the most complicated and you may need to consult your Internet service provider (ISP) for help connecting. ( perhaps a MAC filtering issue?)

if you have a problem with your Modem/router try obtaining a router and connecting it to the modem, you may have the best success with a stand alone router than you will with a combo unit since they are less complicated to use.
if you already are using a stand alone, try temporarily turning off your security and testing it unsecured.

is the firmware updated on your router ( not the S70 but the router) sometimes the latest firmware helps.

Best regards
Kimberly
Tiffany Castillo

Post » Sat Dec 04, 2010 11:29 am

Well it started working randomly today... weird.
Trish

Post » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:15 pm

I've now had a ROKU connected to three different home (fios and cable) wireless networks over the last year. Piece of cake each time. I have pc's running XP, Vista and Windows7 all wireless and all without issues. However, I believe I have hit a wall with Sony and their S570. I cannot get it to connect to my WEP wireless network. I've seen something on my screen about a DHCP server, but it seems this might be classified information not available to people like me. A search here reveals nothing. I tried calling Sony, but that seems to be a classified operation also-they do not even give the hours of operation. Right now I am not too impressed with Sony.
Erin S

Post » Sat Dec 04, 2010 1:11 pm

having same issues connecting- wireless shows ok, internet access failed with BX57 i just picked up from Costco. The Sony TV xbr52hx909 is connected just fine and all is ok with that on same wireless network-
can't get BDP to connect- tried re-doing it several times. it may be on way back to
costco-i have sony TV xbr52hx909 that connects fine- just got BX57 from costco and i'm having same issues as it wont connect- shows w
Nicholas

Post » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:33 pm

Any solution would be appreciated to this problem of the Sony BDP-S570 Bluray players. I am attempting to use it with a Cisco Linksys WRT120N router. The first S570 I tried worked perfectly but only when hardwired to the router. Thus it was possible to upgrade firmware and get other Sony percs. The wireless connection always failed, however, regardless of the auto or manual options. Ultimately the second Sony tech I talked to determined that I had a faulty board since he could not get it to connect after working with me for an hour. We tried using alternative IPs and other manually entered addresses.

I took the player back to the dealer who traded it for a new one. He said he'd never had any of the S560 players come back to him. The second player, sadly, exhibits the same problem! Which leads me to suspect that I'm doing something wrong or that there are technical difficulties beyond my abilities.

I am able to connect a DELL Inspiron mini wirelessly to the network. The network also works with the my older Dell desktop. So connection to the network and Internet is not a problem using the router.

I've checked Cisco Linksys forum which has posts of comparable problems with other brand Bluray players but I can't find one exactly like the one I'm experiencing.

Linksys provides excellent online means of configuring its routers. One of these is to try the Sony WPS pin number (47608481) and register it for use by the router. This, too, fails.

I'm left with three areas of quandry:
1. Are there unresolved technical problems with this particular Sony product and that by the Linksys router?
2. Is there an access point problem with the Sony Bluray?
3. Is it worthwhile to check with the ISP provider to see if I've got a connection problem of some kind?

Thanks after two solid days of hashing through this quagmire.
Solina971

Post » Sat Dec 04, 2010 6:56 am

I was having problems as well. I simply reset my wireless router and my BDP-S570 started working just as it should, so if you are having connection problems then reset you wireless router and start from square one.
Bek Rideout

Post » Sat Dec 04, 2010 4:11 pm

First, let me say that before I bought my BDP-S570 last week I read a lot of comments on a lot of websites about difficulties in connecting via WiFi. To be sure, I read a lot of comments that went along the lines of no problem, easy set up. I'm in the latter camp. I suspect a lot of the problems are either a weak signal from the router, the router settings themselves, interference from another electrically operated item or physical object such as walls or furniture, or just plain lack of knowledge about how what the numerous router settings do.

I'm using a Linksys WRT54GS router. Is your Wireless Mac Filter enabled? If so, get the disc player's wireless mac address and add it to the filter. Is your SSID broadcast enabled or disabled? Mine is disabled and I didn't have to enable it to connect the player. Funny thing is I had to do it when first connecting one of my laptops. Go figure. Are you aware that your wireless network name could be case sensitive. It is on my router which explains why the first attempt didn't work. Second try with correct case worked. Within seconds I could see the Blu Ray Player on my network.

Make sure you know which security mode (WPA Personal, WPA2 Personal, WEP), WPA algorithm and WPA shared key you are using. As with any secured network, what's on the router must be exactly input to the player. I'm assuming you're not using WEP. If you are, change it NOW!

Is your router set to automatically assign IP addresses (the DHCP server settings)? Again, there's a setting in the player that corresponds to this.

Do you understand the IP address relationship between your modem and router? By this, I mean some modems act as a router, configurable or not, and use 192.168.1.100. If you've got one of these then your router and network is supposed to be set to start at 192.168.2.100. Once again, there's a setting in the player that requires you to know this.

Lastly, are you sure you've correctly input to the player without typos? I read a lot of complaints about using the remote to input the required data. Maybe it's just me, but, I found the method to be easy albeit a little slow compared to some products. It was similar to the way one types in contact names on a non-smart phone but even easier than that.

Sorry to go on so long. There's just a lot of stuff that has to be correct, and often, identical.
Everardo Montano

Post » Sat Dec 04, 2010 9:54 pm

Question for Gary and his comment Dec 16. My ssid does have an upper case letter in it. You said you had that problem also and corrected it. Did you change the ssid or is there a way to enter an upper case letter on the BDP while setting up the network settings?
Toby Green

Post » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:57 am

I just receive this new player, I was able to connect ot network only the wee my PC, but I can not register with Netflix.

I don't see anywhere to setup your DNS or Gateway IP address.
Do you nee a sub net mask.

Just entering the IP address is not enought to connect to the internet....
You need all three (host IP, DNS and Subnet)

I an a network engineer and I dout get it. What am i missing here?
Karen anwyn Green

Post » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:35 pm

WOW..all these comments and no real solutions. I have had my S570 for awhile now. It intermiitently connects and then drops off. Sometimes it "sees" the router and sometimes it does not. I have reset my router and cable modem 3 times tonight to no avail. The router "saw" the "player" trying to connect. The player sees the router, but will not connect. The WEP code is correct and everthing else is set to auto. 3 other wireless devices are connected and working fine including a DTV HD DVR right next to the Sony. Go figure! I have spent hours on the chat line with Tech support. Always the same instructions..."reset" the player, reset the router and modem...of course that knocks all other units off the internet as well.
Jimmie Allen

Post » Sat Dec 04, 2010 8:21 am

heman wrote:
> I just receive this new player, I was able to connect ot network only the
> wee my PC, but I can not register with Netflix.
>
> I don't see anywhere to setup your DNS or Gateway IP address.
> Do you nee a sub net mask.
>
> Just entering the IP address is not enought to connect to the internet....
> You need all three (host IP, DNS and Subnet)
>
> I an a network engineer and I dout get it. What am i missing here?

If you go into network settings and select "wireless/custom" vs auto, you can manually enter the either IP address, subnet mask, and DNS addresses.
NeverStopThe

Post » Sat Dec 04, 2010 3:30 pm

Gary_D: Yes, you can change to upper case on the remote's "keypad". Scroll down to the lower right corner where it shows 123. Hit the center button 2 or 3 times till ABC (in caps) appears. Then go to the letter(s) of your SSID you need in caps and select them. Same goes for selecting numbers (go to 123) or symbols(*#%-or whatever symbols show on the keypad.) Thinking about it, I can't believe Sony is using a "keypad" interface that is pretty much like cell phones that aren't smart phones. They could have designed it with a keyboard look and functionality.

heman: After you put in your SSID and password select the Auto choice. If your router is set to assign IP addresses via DHCP your player should automatically obtain an IP address and pick up the subnet mask, gateway IP address and DNS. If your network is such that you are using static IP addresses I would assume you still need to manually input this info. Sorry if I skipped this part in my first post. I was thinking of this additional stuff when I said there's just a lot of stuff that has to be correct, and often, identical.

Re: registering with Netflix. Somewhere in the process I was given a code to use for Netflix. Go to http://www.netflix.com/Activate, login and enter the code. Your computer and player must both be connected to the Internet to activate. There was another code given for use in registering on Sony's website: internet.sony.tv/netflix. I think I had to do this one first before going to netflix.com. It all happened so quickly and smoothly I can't remember the correct sequence.

I have a 2nd S570 to hook up in the bedroom in the next week or two. This time I'll make notes (assuming it goes as smoothly) for future postings if necessary.

Good luck to both of you. BTW, I've now watched several movies on Netflix with great picture and streaming quality. My router, which is upstairs and a couple of rooms away from being directly over the player, registers between 75 and 90 percent signal strength on the player. Don't forget, you have to go into Netflix first. select the movies you want to watch and put them in your instant queue. You can't do it via the player. Anytime you select movies you have to select "update" on the player before your latest selections will show on the player. Also, when you're selecting movies with the "Play" button mouse over the button and select "add to instant queue" that pops up. If you add it to your reqular queue, or it's already there, mouse over the "Play" button and select "Add." I learned this from the Netflix help screens when I couldn't see anything listed in the player.

Again, sorry to go on so long. I guess I feel like I'm paying forward all of the tech help I've received over the years.
Bird

Post » Sat Dec 04, 2010 10:14 am

Gary wrote:
> Gary_D: Yes, you can change to upper case on the remote's
> "keypad". Scroll down to the lower right corner where it shows
> 123. Hit the center button 2 or 3 times till ABC (in caps) appears. Then go
> to the letter(s) of your SSID you need in caps and select them. Same goes
> for selecting numbers (go to 123) or symbols(*#%-or whatever symbols show
> on the keypad.) Thinking about it, I can't believe Sony is using a
> "keypad" interface that is pretty much like cell phones that
> aren't smart phones. They could have designed it with a keyboard look and
> functionality.
>
> heman: After you put in your SSID and password select the Auto choice. If
> your router is set to assign IP addresses via DHCP your player should
> automatically obtain an IP address and pick up the subnet mask, gateway IP
> address and DNS. If your network is such that you are using static IP
> addresses I would assume you still need to manually input this info. Sorry
> if I skipped this part in my first post. I was thinking of this additional
> stuff when I said there's just a lot of stuff that has to be correct, and
> often, identical.
>
> Re: registering with Netflix. Somewhere in the process I was given a code
> to use for Netflix. Go to http://www.netflix.com/Activate, login and enter
> the code. Your computer and player must both be connected to the Internet
> to activate. There was another code given for use in registering on Sony's
> website: internet.sony.tv/netflix. I think I had to do this one first
> before going to netflix.com. It all happened so quickly and smoothly I
> can't remember the correct sequence.
>
> I have a 2nd S570 to hook up in the bedroom in the next week or two. This
> time I'll make notes (assuming it goes as smoothly) for future postings if
> necessary.
>
>
> Good luck to both of you. BTW, I've now watched several movies on Netflix
> with great picture and streaming quality. My router, which is upstairs and
> a couple of rooms away from being directly over the player, registers
> between 75 and 90 percent signal strength on the player. Don't forget, you
> have to go into Netflix first. select the movies you want to watch and put
> them in your instant queue. You can't do it via the player. Anytime you
> select movies you have to select "update" on the player before
> your latest selections will show on the player. Also, when you're selecting
> movies with the "Play" button mouse over the button and select
> "add to instant queue" that pops up. If you add it to your
> reqular queue, or it's already there, mouse over the "Play"
> button and select "Add." I learned this from the Netflix help
> screens when I couldn't see anything listed in the player.
>
> Again, sorry to go on so long. I guess I feel like I'm paying forward all
> of the tech help I've received over the years.

Gary, I am not exactly sure what the issue is with my S570. When it was connected, it only showed 5% signal strength. My DTV HD-DVR right next to it shows a strong signal as does this laptop I am working on (about 15' away).
The S570 "sees" the router, but will not connect.
At one point when I did a "network diagnostic" check, the S570 said I needed to "insert a compatible wireless adapter into the units USB port". This leads me to believe I may have a faulty wireless adapter in the unit. Thoughts?
Laura Shipley

Post » Sat Dec 04, 2010 7:08 pm

Gary, thank you very much for your contributions to this thread. Having spent a few hours on trying to get my S570 to connect to my network, I almost gave up. Using your info, I used the "caps" for my network passphrase and wola, it connected!

Thanks again for your help! You helped make this Xmas present work. And I know two kids that are just as overjoyed as I am!

Happy New Year!

Gary wrote:
> Gary_D: Yes, you can change to upper case on the remote's
> "keypad". Scroll down to the lower right corner where it shows
> 123. Hit the center button 2 or 3 times till ABC (in caps) appears. Then go
> to the letter(s) of your SSID you need in caps and select them. Same goes
> for selecting numbers (go to 123) or symbols(*#%-or whatever symbols show
> on the keypad.) Thinking about it, I can't believe Sony is using a
> "keypad" interface that is pretty much like cell phones that
> aren't smart phones. They could have designed it with a keyboard look and
> functionality.
>
> heman: After you put in your SSID and password select the Auto choice. If
> your router is set to assign IP addresses via DHCP your player should
> automatically obtain an IP address and pick up the subnet mask, gateway IP
> address and DNS. If your network is such that you are using static IP
> addresses I would assume you still need to manually input this info. Sorry
> if I skipped this part in my first post. I was thinking of this additional
> stuff when I said there's just a lot of stuff that has to be correct, and
> often, identical.
>
> Re: registering with Netflix. Somewhere in the process I was given a code
> to use for Netflix. Go to http://www.netflix.com/Activate, login and enter
> the code. Your computer and player must both be connected to the Internet
> to activate. There was another code given for use in registering on Sony's
> website: internet.sony.tv/netflix. I think I had to do this one first
> before going to netflix.com. It all happened so quickly and smoothly I
> can't remember the correct sequence.
>
> I have a 2nd S570 to hook up in the bedroom in the next week or two. This
> time I'll make notes (assuming it goes as smoothly) for future postings if
> necessary.
>
>
> Good luck to both of you. BTW, I've now watched several movies on Netflix
> with great picture and streaming quality. My router, which is upstairs and
> a couple of rooms away from being directly over the player, registers
> between 75 and 90 percent signal strength on the player. Don't forget, you
> have to go into Netflix first. select the movies you want to watch and put
> them in your instant queue. You can't do it via the player. Anytime you
> select movies you have to select "update" on the player before
> your latest selections will show on the player. Also, when you're selecting
> movies with the "Play" button mouse over the button and select
> "add to instant queue" that pops up. If you add it to your
> reqular queue, or it's already there, mouse over the "Play"
> button and select "Add." I learned this from the Netflix help
> screens when I couldn't see anything listed in the player.
>
> Again, sorry to go on so long. I guess I feel like I'm paying forward all
> of the tech help I've received over the years.
Glu Glu

Next

Return to Blu-ray Players