My BDP-S6500 Blu Ray Player's DVD Upscaling. Am I Expecting Too Much?

Post » Wed Dec 09, 2015 3:22 am

I just bought the BDP-S6500 blu ray player. I've read many reviews. Amazon has a whole bunch of reviews on it. A good number of people seem to be impressed with it's DVD upscaling. One review says "This player upscales dvds like nothing I've ever seen. With it hooked up to my Sony 4K tv, it is amazing how good even older dvds look and the crisp clarity of blurays completely blows me away. It feels like you are right there watching it be filmed!!!"

I also bought a KDL50W800C TV. It's 1080P. I have heard plenty of people say that the blu ray can only upscale DVDs to 1080P resolution because my TV is only 1080P. I get that. I wouldn't even expect it to upscale a DVD that has 720P content all the way up to 1080P.

However, the only way I can see any difference in picture quality was to take a DVD that I had two copies of. Played one on my DVD player and the other copy in my blu ray player and did an A/B comparison between the two. I noticed a slight difference. The picture on my DVD was a bit snowier whereas on the bu ray it was tad sharper and a tad less pixley looking. I tried it on several DVDs too.

Can anyone tell me if this normal? Am I expecting too much? Or am I supposed to change some settings to achieve upscaling? I know there are some picture settings I can adjust but I thought it was supposed to upscale on its own. I tried one adjustment that someone suggested: changed Cinema Conversion from Auto to Video. That looked even worse.

Lauren Graves

Return to Blu-ray Players