Best way to ingest DVDs

Post » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:57 pm

I have a new project and client where all the source media is 15+ DVDs. From these I have to make promo reels etc.
Client knows what he's doing and will give me paper EDLs to make a number of different programs from the content on these DVDs. The DVDs are a mixed bag, some with several programs on the one disk and some with only one.

I'm trying to find the easiest way to get all my ducks in a row ready for supervised edit sessions. I've ingested DVDs before of course but that's just one or two which I've just winged as needed.

Bob.
April D. F

Post » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:36 pm

If there is only one title set then it doesn't matter which good method you use. A good method concatenates the VOB files before loading. (A bad method is to drag the VOB files directly to the timeline.)

If you drag the .IFO file of the title set to the timeline you will get orange marks (not markers) corresponding to the chapters in that title set. If they are helpful, use that method. If they would be an annoyance, then don't.

I normally use VOB2MPG to convert my VOB files to MPEG before loading into Vegas. I also use the command COPY /B to concatenate them, but that is tedious for more than one DVD.
Isabella X

Post » Sat Jan 31, 2015 8:38 pm

Offhand, I would say the Gary James method in Vegas, or rip individual titles in Handbrake.
I'm assuming there is no encryption on these?
michael flanigan

Post » Sat Jan 31, 2015 9:38 pm

Dragging the .IFO file to the timeline seems to be the flat-out simplest method. The only downside i've found is that the .VOB data imported this way may bog down a slower PC a little bit as compared to other formats. If your computer is newer than 6 years old then this probably isn't an issue.

Of course, copy the entire DVD structure to a hard drive first! Don't attempt to use the DVDs themselves as the timeline source.
Sheila Reyes

Return to Vegas Pro Forum