Issues users experience with 64x Windows 7 - ACID

Post » Sat May 05, 2012 12:21 am

Someone in the threads recently said it might be a good idea to post issues that Acid Pro users are having in 64bit Windows 7 (or Vista) platforms.

So here begins the latest thread.

I am running a Acer Intel Core 2 Quad 2.33 GHZ tower - originally Vista 64x - upgraded to Windows 7 Home Premium. 6 gigs of ddr3 ram.

I am running Acid Pro 7.0e - i have everything installed as per minimum requirements - quicktime, microsoft .net framework 3.5 and so on.
In my case i have a recently completely wiped and re-installed Windows 7 - 64bit operating system. Using an M-Audio 2496 soundcard.

Some of the problems I am having with Acid Pro are as follows - since switching from an older Acer 32 bit system to my current system;

1) Acid can take a while to respond to mouse movement, ie: zooming into or scrolling into waveforms - this kills efficiency for editing purposes.

2) If you move track folders around or undo track folders it can freeze or cause the windows wheel of death to spin... - Sometimes i get lucky, and i get to alt+s for a save and sometimes it crashes entirely.

3) Also when i scroll into my timeline - zooming in using my mouse - you can hear Acid stuttering - crackling - almost like my CPU is maxed - when it's not.

4) Plugin support - i've had some issues with 3rd party plugin's which are considerably better than the plugin's that come loaded in Acid Pro. I have Overloud BREVERB 2, Mark Studio (Bass Simulation), Izotope Nectar & Ozone 5. Sometimes the plugin window crashes - will go entirely black and won't allow you to save the project after it goes to the black plugin screen.
In regards to plugin support - and i know this from experience - now that alot of plugin manufacturer's are 64x supported - Acid doesn't always accept the 64 bit plugin - could be a manufacture issue, could be a Sony issue. I'm far from a tech geek on this issue. Which plugin versions does Sony recommend in this case? 32 bit plugin's or 64 bit to work with the system? Hence why a 64 bit Acid Pro would be greatly welcome to streamline things.

5) Coming in and out of applications and returning to Acid Pro when docked in the taskbar - the computer/Acid Pro can take a while to re-establish being connected and being ready to go - screen goes light grey and the windows wheel spins.

6) Bussing - i was having an issue with using mutiple bus tracks (mind you i was running 390 plus tracks in a song i was mixing) but the issue was that previous to adding bus channels i was running all 390 tracks just straight through the master - all was working smoothly. When i added the busses - my CPU went nuts - turns out - i installed Quicktime - as my music was running through Windows Media Player - and my CPU usage dropped to 18-26% on average. Just a note if anyone ever experiences that issue - so highly recommend installing Quicktime.

7) Also - lack of OMF support - seeing as I work in small TV - i would love to be able to have OMF support and be able to export OMF files for use in Final Cut or Adobe Premiere. - I have to as it's part of my job and everything i do at work is mac based.
Having said that - why not make a mac version of Acid Pro... i find it insane that more companies aren't doing that in light of Apple's market share these days. I still prefer PC - but Apple is a strong competitor now.

Those are my issues at the present time.
Anyone else with 64 bit Windows systems having problems with Acid Pro - this is your time to rant!
Bring it on!
xemmybx

Post » Sat May 05, 2012 1:49 am

1,2,3 - my guess is a display card driver issue.

4 - A 32-bit app will ONLY use 32-bit plugins.

5 - Not for me. Check Computer Management Event Viewer System and Application logs to see if some problems showing there.

6 - Can't see how QT could affect any of this. And 390 tracks - jeepers, they did Bohemian Rhapsody with about a quarter of that !

7 - OMF - agreed. For Vegas even moreso . Mac version - because goin Mac is surrendering to the Dark Side ;-) And a distraction that would see fewer resources availble to fix bugs and develop the current implementation.

geoff
latrina

Post » Fri May 04, 2012 6:29 pm

"Someone in the threads recently said it might be a good idea to post issues that Acid Pro users are having in 64bit Windows 7 (or Vista) platforms.

So here begins the latest thread"

Why?
10 days ago you posted a reply you received from Sony support stating they had no intention to develop a 64 bit version of ACID any time soon so really, why bother?
Robert Bindley

Post » Fri May 04, 2012 10:05 pm

Why? Probably because a lot of people with 64 bit systems would like to use ACID.

Dunno about you, but my 64 bit PC doesn't have a "run CPU in 32 bit mode" switch on it.
Andrea Pratt

Post » Sat May 05, 2012 5:03 am

Hey Geoff

Display card driver has been updated, It is an older card and i have considered going out to purchase a new video card. Im running an old GEFORCE 7300GT. 512 memory.

I get the 32 bit plugin - that would be my obvious choice.

I couldn't see how quicktime would effect the program either and trust me as it was late in the night when i installed it, i was shocked when my cpu stopped running hot. The only other thing i have found - when you look at your cores as it is running one of the 4 cores runs hot when running Acid Pro.

Thanks for the info.
Chloe Lou

Post » Sat May 05, 2012 5:15 am

When I had ACID installed on my current DAW - there were none of the issues listed and it ran like a racehorse.

My components and software as of 11/2011 (same as today):

? CPU: Intel Core?2 Quad Processor Q9550
? Motherboard: Gigabyte EP45-UD3R (REV 1.1)
? Graphics: PNY Quadro FX380
? Network: Realtek RTL8168C/8111C PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC
? Audio: RME HDSPe Multiface II
? Memory: 8GB Mushkin HP2-6400 (996587)
? Optical 1: Samsung SH-222AL DVD Writer (SATA)
? Optical 2: Plextor Premium CD-R
? HD1: WD Caviar Black 500 GB
? HD2: Seagate 500GB Barracuda 7200.12
? HD3: Seagate 1TB Barracuda 7200.12
? Case: ANTEC P182
? PSU: Corsair VX 550
? OS: Windows 7 Professional 64 Bit SP1

Never had a plugin issue, a track issue, stuttering or any issue with QT. It was solid. Never ever exceeded 32 tracks for any session but that's just me :)

OMF is a feature request and not an issue per se.

VP
CxvIII

Post » Fri May 04, 2012 7:49 pm

How nice it is to not have a problem! :)
Yes the omf thing is a feature request! :)
Vincent Joe

Post » Fri May 04, 2012 3:42 pm

Inocmusic

why not post a thread...
I'm the one who received the email - i am not the only one with questions about Acid Pro on my mind.
Peter has not chimed in about 64x support - not sure i would expect him to do so... as hush is the word... Secrecy...
Reality is a lot of us here still love Acid Pro - and in a perfect world would love to see our platform advance.
I went through stuff like this with Palm/HP and their smartphone debacle with webos. So this time around I'm being vocal about the product i like and making my case and ideas known.

Peace out! A-town
Vivien

Post » Fri May 04, 2012 7:41 pm

Your Windows does. It's automatic and essentially invisible..

geoff
LuBiE LoU

Post » Sat May 05, 2012 12:56 am

Hey, if Sony is to create an update for Acid Pro 7 in order for people with new 64 bit computers to use it this thread is essential. Sony will make a lot of money if they create the update. If Sony has no intention of creating Acid Pro 8 that would be just fine if they AT THE VERY LEAST create a new update for Acid Pro 7. Then they could advertise that Acid Pro 7 supports 64 bit operating systems and they don't have to stop making Acid Pro 7.

HEY SONY!! THIS IS A GREAT IDEA!!!

AND YOU'RE NOT EVEN PAYING ME TO BE ON YOUR BOARD OF DIRECTORS!!

I suggest you take advantage of this thread and fix whatever problems users are having with Acid Pro 7 on 64 bit systems!

It makes good financial sense!

Think about it!

Peter where are you?

Save your baby!!!

Return to ACID Pro and Music Studio