Playback Monitoring / Recording - How to remove delay?

Post » Tue May 18, 2010 2:58 am

I may not have the right software for this, but here is what I want to do - and here is the problem I'm running into:

I have a bunch of really great drum loops as .wav files. I also have some really nice VST synths, etc. that make some wonderful sounds. I'd like to set up the wav files as a loop and then play on my keyboard controller in real time and have the software record the midi data, etc. Here's the kicker: I'd also like to monitor what I'm playing in real-time. Here's my setup:

Roland A-90
USB MidiSport 2x2
2.4Ghz P4, 1.5GB RAM, 40GB 7200rpm HD
SoundMAX Digital Audio Soundcard on the Mobo (ASUS P4S8X-X)

The Issue I'm running into is when I set up the Soft Synth, there is a delay between when I press a key on the A-90 and when I hear the sound out of my computer speakers. This is the delay in the Audio Tab > Playback buffering slider. Trying to play with a tight drum loop and hearing yourself .25 or .35 seconds later is really annoying and much more difficult.

Do I need to get a "better" soundcard to be able to remove this delay to allow true "Real-Time" MIDI Control. As it is now, I'm controlling it real-time but not hearing the result without a substantial delay. Making overdub recording impossible. I've tried setting the slider down to .01 but I get garbled noise instead of sound. The lowest I can set it is .15 which is still quite long.

Can ACID let me play real-time with loops, without going through the "Playback Buffering" delay? If so, how?

Thank you in advance for all your help and consideration.

Scott
alicia hillier

Post » Tue May 18, 2010 10:03 am

In short, yes, you would have to invest in a new soundcard or audio interface for low-latency recording, preferably one that can use the ASIO driver model if you're using MIDI as you are. (You can get comparable results using the WDM/MME model but that depends on how good the drivers are written.)

Echo's MiaMIDI is a good solution. I'm sure others can chime in.

HTH,
Iacobus
-------
RodelWorks - Original Music for the Unafraid
mD's ACIDplanet Page
Guitars 4 Kids
mollypop

Post » Tue May 18, 2010 3:41 am

Thank you for the quick response - I had figured that the sound drivers that came with my Motherboard (this computer was originally set up as a gaming rig) wouldn't be good enough.

So it would be the better drivers and/or the hardware on the card which would allow more accurate playback. I would assume that when I would install the new soundcard / interface that there would appear new drivers in the Audio Tab in ACID and then I could turn Playback buffering off? Or would I have to go down to .01 seconds?

Thanks again for your help - I'd really like to use ACID to it's full ability, I think it will let me do exactly what I want.

Scott
Stefanny Cardona

Post » Tue May 18, 2010 10:28 am

Well, Here is the result:

I just picked up a M-Audio Audiophile 24/96 and it works like a champ. $150 at my local Guitar Center. Returned the USB Midisport 2x2.

When I installed the Drivers for the Audiophile and told ACID to use it for Audio Playback the entire "Playback Buffering" line dropped to gray and now everything is truly "real-time".

I'm much happier =)

Thanks for all your help.
Alex [AK]

Post » Tue May 18, 2010 3:14 pm

You're welcome!

Iacobus
-------
RodelWorks - Original Music for the Unafraid
mD's ACIDplanet Page
Guitars 4 Kids
Philip Rua

Return to ACID Pro and Music Studio