Not recognising DVD burner

Post » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:59 am

My computer is running windows vista home premium, processor is Intel Pentium 4 cpu 3.00 ghz, ran 2gb, 32 bit.
I have successfully burnt a clip straight from movie studio onto the HP DVD external writer but as I've 6 clips I want to join I have to use architect and it won't recognise the H drive, the external DVD writer.
The funny thing is when I Go to Advanced at the select burn parameters, it is giving the h drive characteristics to my E drive, which is a read only integral drive, and all the properties are supported, and is reading the disk, but when I chose the H drive, the E drive properties come up, which don't support the burn, obviously as its a read only drive. It appears it's drives are crossed, but I don't know how to uncross them,
I have uninstalled DVDAS, shut down, then plugged my burner in and re-installed DVDAS with the burner attached. I've deleted the cache. Still the E drive cones up with H characteristics and vice versa.
Does anyone have a solution here?? Ive resorted to importing my rendered projects into Windows Movie Maker to burn to disc but the menu options are not as good as DVDAS.
Hopefully somebody can uncross my wires please!

Jordan Fletcher

Post » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:16 am

I occasionally have weird effects, and when straight forward things like re-installing software don't help, I resort to re-installing an earlier image of my C drive.

I have images of immediately after installing Windows, after installing updates and must-have software that I trust, and other images after installing less vital software. I reinstall in reverse order to their creation until the problem disappears, and rebuild from there.

It is a real pain to re-install and set your preferences etc. but in the long run I find that it is quicker than fiddling around trying to find out what the problem is. Sometimes it is a software conflict that can be resolved by installing software in a different order.

Be sure to take an image of your C drive before you do any of the above so that you can rescue some data you forgot to save. My C drive is a 100 GB partition for installed software only, and I try to keep data on other drives. That way, the system image is not too big.
Alessandra Botham

Post » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:09 am

I have no idea how to 'uncross your wires' but I would recommend creating an image dile in DVDA and burning that to disc with a program, such as the free ImgBurn. This will give exactly the same result as burning in DVDA assuming, of course, that it doesn't also exhibit the crossed wires problem.
Richus Dude

Post » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:10 am

Many thanks for your suggestions, I will certainly give them a go. I got my DVD burnt by importing the rendered video & audio files to Windows Movie Maker, then burnt to disk. The menu options are not as professional in Movie Maker as DVDAS but it least it works!
Killer McCracken

Return to DVD Architect Talk