How to add multiple .avi files to a track?

Post » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:11 am

Hello Forum friends,

I'm trying to make a single-movie DVD from three 3.5 - 4.1 gig .avi files. I can't figure out how to add all three to the same track. Read all the tutorials, no help.

Any expertise here is appreciated.

Thanks,
Patric
Nice one

Post » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:43 am

Start Vegas.
Click on Explorer tab under the top left-hand pane.
Navigate to your file(s)
For many files, highlight select them all and drag to the desired track (or blank space) in the timeline pane.
For individual files, drag them one at a time to the timeline track and location. Subsequent clips should be dragged immediately right of the end of the previous clip (event).

I believe that you can also work from Windows Explorer (now called File Explorer) but I never do it that way.

OOPS!

I thought that we were talking about Vegas.

I think the answer is that you can't do it with DVDA. Do it in Vegas and render out as an MPEG2 file to a DVD template.

In any case you should avoid transcoding (in your case from DV AVI to MPEG2) in DVDA since it is slower and has less options.

What you can do with multiple files in DVDA is drag them one at a time to the menu and set the end action of each file to play the next one. That way they will play consecutively but with a slight pause between files. To avoid the pause, render to a single file as I have already said.
sam smith

Post » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:04 am

That way they will play consecutively but with a slight pause between files. To avoid the pause, render to a single file as I have already said.

I believe that a Music/Video compilation will avoid the pause.
Invasion's

Post » Fri Dec 05, 2014 3:54 am

The final product needs AC-3 sound, which Vegas doesn't do, so I have to use DVDA. Since it has to be a Single Movie I think that rules out compilations, not sure, please let me know if I'm wrong.

Also, Vegas seems to not want to render a single file 16gigs in size. It breaks them up itself as far as I can tell.

I'm sending this project to Amazon Instant Video, which is why the specs are so specific.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Patric
Motionsharp

Post » Fri Dec 05, 2014 5:10 am

Vegas Pro does do AC3. In fact, the most popular workflow on these forums is to render from Vegas twice - once to create the AC3 stream, the second time to create the video stream. If they have the same name (except for the file extensions), and are in the same subdirectory, when you drag the video into DVDA, it will find the AC3 sound and put it in the right place.

As far as breaking up the file, what size are each of the little files? How is your hard drive formatted - some formats restrict file size to 4GB.
Amysaurusrex

Post » Fri Dec 05, 2014 4:32 am

Since it has to be a Single Movie I think that rules out compilations, not sure, please let me know if I'm wrong.

A compilation can still export a single movie.
* Start project.
* Insert music/video compilation.
* Drag assets to compilation.
* Drag compilation to title in Project overview window.
* Delete menu.
* Create DVD.
SHAWNNA-KAY

Return to DVD Architect Talk