Movie Studio Platinum 13 (64-bit) Freezes

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:47 pm

I recently upgraded from version 12 to version 13. Version 12 seemed to work well. Version 13 freezes at random times, both while I'm editing and while Movie Studio is rendering. Most of the freezing happens while rendering.

When it freezes during rendering the there's no indication of a problem except that the preview window stops advancing (but the elapsed time counter keeps going). The program becomes unresponsive, and I cannot stop the render or end the program. I have to kill the program from the Task Manager.

Freezes happen at random times. I cannot find any correlation to my activities or the computer status. When it freezes while rendering it will freeze at different places in the render each time. Some times it will finish rendering.

My computer, Windows 8.1, and my video card drivers are all up to date. I have the latest QuickTime as well. When I began using version 13 I only had 8 GB of RAM. When I encountered these freezing problems I thought that perhaps I don't have sufficient RAM. I installed 16 GB in my machine, but the problems persist.

I've started looking at CyberLink PowerDirector as an alternative. I'm sure there will be a big learning curve for me to migrate to the new application, so I really don't want to do that.

Any words of wisdom would help. I hate to think that I wasted my money on the Movie Studio upgrade from 12 to 13. I would like to get it working.

MACHINE:
Windows PC, 8.1
Intel Core i7 860
16 GB RAM
EVGA GeForce GTX 760, 2 GB VRAM

Marlo Stanfield

Post » Sun Feb 01, 2015 12:57 pm

Forgot to mention something in my previous post:

I downloaded Vegas Pro trial version. I opened one of my Movie Studio files and tried to render it. Vegas froze up during the render just like Movie Studio does. Obviously there's something wrong with my computer.
Alyesha Neufeld

Return to Vegas Movie Studio