Sony Vegas Pro 12 - Quick sync or i7-5960X 8 core?

Post » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:02 pm

Hi, I am currently considering to upgrade my system (currently: win7x64, Vegas Pro 12, i7 2700k, 32GB, GTX580, 2xSSD) mainly because I need it to work faster.

Previously I thought that RAM and GPU acceleration would help me to improve dramatically the rendering speed. But it didn't (that much). Before that I thought disks were the bottleneck of the system, so I have a SSD for windows and vegas, a 7.200 for projects (reading), and the other SSD for recording and temp folder.

A few days ago I found out about quick sync, and believed a miracle could happen. But it didn't (again). It seems that my CPU can deliver better results with quick sync, but I need more*.

At the moment I am thinking I need more processing power, and my doubt is the following:
- Should I invest in (besides the motherboard, of course) a processor with better Intel graphics to take advantage of working via quick sync, or should I get the best 8 core extreme power? Or should I even consider a xeon?

*Project 40 minutes 1080p (no effects, 2 tracks video + 1 audio)
- CPU: 2h35 - OpenCL: 2h30 - Quick sync: 2h15

Thank you for all your help - Miguel Cruz
Michelle Serenity Boss

Post » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:53 pm

You didn't say what you are rendering to? MP4?

This is awfully slow for a short project. Even my old 3770k with GTx 560ti would do most formats in 2 x real time (that is, 80 minutes).

I have a 5960 8 core with AMD R9 290x. I was debating getting the 6 core which came with a higher base clock rate and cost $500 less, but decided to go for the best CPU. I was disappointed in MC MPG2 rendering, it turns out the 290x does not work with the MC MPG2 templates.

Knowing what I know now, the sweet spot for my MPG2 (DVD) work would be the 6 core i7, with the 580GTX you already own.

Are you planning to overclock? I oc'ed the 5960 from 3.0 GHz to 4.2GHz, and that made a very big difference. With the ASUS mobo, it was ridiculously easy.

Search the forum for the GPU topic, there is a lot of discussion and experience here.
Multi Multi

Return to Vegas Pro Forum