Naive question concerning SD file formats

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:56 pm

Many players and devices no longer recognize DV AVI, so it remains limited delivery solution.
Cash n Class

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:29 pm

Many players and devices no longer recognize DV AVI, so it remains limited delivery solution.
Really? I'm not saying this isn't true, but this is the first I'd hear of it. My experience has been that DV AVI was, in the PC world, the most universally accepted format possible.

What equipment doesn't play this format?
Sarah Evason

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:34 pm

Not a single one of the collection of media players/TVs i have lying around the house will touch DV. Windows Media Player "out of the box" won't play it either until you install Microsoft's DV decoder.

I suspect it's considered a non-option because of it's high bitrate. It's probably assumed that no portable player or media device would be used for such huge files.
Steve Bates

Post » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:22 am

I'd suspect most programs won' play DV is because it's a capture and editor format, not a final viewing format. Even when I would edit DV at my old job we would never use that for over the air, it was always mpeg 1 or 2, or transfer back to tape.
Jose ordaz

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:30 pm

lewist57, can you tell exactly what your source and target delivery formats are?

I have some public domain NTSC B&W clips that I had planned to upscale to 720 HD. The original file formats are. MOV, and final files would b MPEG-2.

As far as upscaling goes, there seems to be a lot of marketing hype, (like the latest version of After Effects) but the fact is you can't apparently make a better 'copy' of a video than the original file. I have upscaled the .MOV files via Nero Recode 2014 and via After Effects 5.5, and tried Infognitiion's super resolution, but the end results are barely acceptable. I probably could put a lot of time and effort into various adjustments and filters, but the original films are from the 1920's - 1950's so there is just so much one could do to make them bigger and better.
Tarka

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:29 pm

The only reason I have ever upscaled SD was a 720p video for Youtube, where I felt a closing 480p piece needed to fit the screen format.

You can upscale in Handbrake (CLI only) with relatively good results, but I'm unconvinced it is as good as hardware upscaling by a player. Handbrake GUI (the one most of us use) has upscaling disabled for just that reason. Why take up so much bandwidth and storage when it does no good?

"You can't make a silk purse from a sow's ear."

Emily Martell

Previous

Return to Vegas Pro Forum