Monitor stopped displaying

Post » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:26 pm

Hi. I turned on my laptop today and there was no display on the external monitor.

I rebooted with the monitor cable unhooked and can work normally from the laptop screen. Then I tested it connecting to my TV, It didn't work initially, but I ran the Troubleshooter and Windows said it fixed something and to try again. Then the TV displayed correctly.

I switched the display to dual, then tried my monitor again with no luck. In fact, the troubleshooters and device info pages all say it's working correctly. And yet it is not.

Any ideas?

Ricky Rayner

Post » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:28 pm

Hi professor59,

Welcome to Sony Community!

What is the model name and the cusrrent operating system of your laptop? Meaning, after you fix the issue to your external monitor the monitor on your laptop is not blank.

Please try the following steps:

1. Try to unplug the HDMI cable connected to the external monitor. We need to verify first that the display is working without it.

2. Reboot the computer. Does it work now ?

3. If still persist turn on the computer > press Ctrl + P to show the options of the display. Make sure it's set on "computer only".

I hope it helps.

Regards,

Jen

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution"

Nauty

Post » Sun Nov 15, 2015 4:05 pm

I have a Sony Vaio VGN NW225F. It has run Windows 7 since I got in in 2009.

I have tried all of those things and many many more before I posted here. The laptop screen works fine - I'm using it now. I have a regular VGA cable, not an HDMI cable. I am normally connected to a 20" external monitor just to see better. A few days ago, the monitor stopped displaying, so I started troubleshooting.

I plugged the laptop to my TV via the same VGA cable. It worked.

I know how the multiple display options work, and I have tried them. Even the Identify feature thinks the monitor is active, since it displays "1/2" on my laptop screen and thinks it's diplaying "2/2" on the monitor, but it's invisible.

Yes, the power is on.

Yes, the brightness is up.

I took the cable and monitor to a friend's house and plugged it into another laptop, where it worked perfectly, which freaked me out, since that my last test.

If all the components work, I can't get why the combination does not. Which is why I was looking more at settings and device drivers, but I haven't found anything wrong.

In fact, all of the devices report my monitor as working correctly, which is why the laptop continues tryint to send the display to the monitor instead of defaulting to the laptop screen, which it would do if the monitor is unplugged.

Oscar Vazquez

Return to VAIO Computers