PS4 Controller also an Android Controller?

Post » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:16 pm

Hello. Just bought an XBR55X850C and loving it.

Question. I see you can pair up a PS4 controller to use with Playstation Now. Will that controller also function as an Android controller and be able to be used with any games (or maybe apps) that I install on the TV?

Thx.....

JUDY FIGHTS

Post » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:56 pm

Anyone have an idea? The controllers are on sale for 2 more days, don't want to buy if it won't control other Android functions also.

Lizbeth Ruiz

Post » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:37 pm

Good question, I've never used the DualShock 4 (PS4 controller) for anything with my X850C aside from tinkering with menu navigation. Hard to find an answer to

Judging from this product page: http://www.sony.net/Products/tv/androidtv/en-gb/

If you scroll down to GAMEPAD for Android Games, it actually doesn't mention the DualShock 4 at all, and instead lists other controllers.

So we know the DualShock 4 works for PlayStation Now, as well as TV Navigation... I can't say for 100% sure that it would work for Android games. I mean, my best guess is that it might work, but the button layouts might not be exact, and obviously wouldnt be labled correctly.

EDIT: Apparently someone got it to work with other Android devices, although the button mapping wasn't 1:1. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ufewyTSF2EA

Can you return your controller afterwards? haha Smiley Tongue

Umpyre Records

Post » Mon Dec 07, 2015 5:52 pm

Ah so it will also control the menu items just like say the touch remote does? And ya, I've seen that link you posted, just curious if maybe it secretly controls games. Sayyyyyy, maybe you can install some little Android racing game and test Smiley Happy

Alina loves Alexandra

Post » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:40 pm

Haha sorry, I keep my TV clean of apps as much as possible. Im going to be lame and not do that. Haha. (sorry - I know Im lame)

But yes, when you pair the DualShock 4 to the TV, that DS4 will control some basic functions. In settings under DualShock 4 they even have a button layout screen to see for example, what brings up the Action Menu or Discover page.

Matt Gammond

Post » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:01 pm

Tis cool, thanks anyways. Can someone else test for me please? Try a game or two and see if it works?

Taylah Illies

Post » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:53 pm

It definitely works as a general controller--wirelessly too.

You go into Settings and find the option to pair with a PS4 controller. You'll be prompted to hold down the PS button and the options button simulteniously.

As soon as it's paired, Playstation Now will launch, but you can back out of it--on the PS4 controller, pressing in the touch pad is mapped to home.

Then you can open up any game or app you want. I used it with Final Fantasy III, which I had already bought from Google Play to use on my phone. It worked great--the anolog sticks work too.

Marie

Post » Mon Dec 07, 2015 6:44 pm

Thanks dude. Bought one on my way home and it's charging now. I'll give it a whirl later.....

Amiee Kent

Post » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:07 pm

Just want to say the controller works great. Anyone know if you can hook up 2 controllers for 2 player games?

Emmi Coolahan

Return to More Sony Products