SnagIt 11 Video Capture

Post » Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:56 am

I got all excited a couple of days ago when I received an email notifying me of a SnagIt upgrade to version 11. SnagIt is one of my favorite apps. The announcement hyped the new video capture improvements.

Version 10 of SnagIt captured in avi format (codec id: CRAM) and played very nicely with Sony Vegas.

However, SnagIt 11 now encodes in mp4 format (codec id: mp42/avc1) and when I attempt to drop the clips on the Vegas timeline only the audio appears.

There is a workaround - if I re-encode the SnagIt capture with HandBrake (using same framesize, framerate, etc), I have no problems dropping the clip on the Vegas timeline (as seeing both video & audio events).

So, the quesiton is... Does anyone have an idea why won't Vegas accept the SnagIt 11 captured video files?

Here are the details:

dl.dropbox.com/u/20447760/SnagIt11-MediaInfo.png
dl.dropbox.com/u/20447760/SnagIt11-HB-MediaInfo.png
Actual video clips are here: SnagIt-11.zip

...Jerry
aisha jamil

Post » Sun Mar 04, 2012 3:52 am

Message Deleted by User.
Justin

Post » Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:30 pm

I just installed the Snagit upgrade and will try this when I get to the editing system. Wondering if Camtasia has or will have the same issue with screen captures. Camtasia is the Techsmith desktop capture/edit product.
Setal Vara

Post » Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:35 pm

looking at your MediaInfo data, the re-encoded handbrake version has a lot more header data fields than the original. Especially, Frame Rate Mode and Frame Rate. But there are others too. Obviously Vegas needs something thats missing.
Is there any option in snagit to include extra data in the encoded video file?

Paul.
Flutterby

Post » Sat Mar 03, 2012 2:28 pm

I'm just guessing but I suspect that format profile is the problem. Snagit is using Baseline@L4.0 while Handbreak is using Baseline@L3.1. When I render to MainConcept AVC and check the profile for the baseline it's also Baseline@L3.1. Maybe this is as high as Vegas supports.

~jr
Chantelle Walker

Post » Sun Mar 04, 2012 12:06 am

Paul_w asks, Is there any option in snagit to include extra data in the encoded video file?

Unfortunately, there are almost no configuration options for video capture in SnagIt.

JohnnyRoy says, I'm just guessing but I suspect that format profile is the problem. Snagit is using Baseline@L4.0 while Handbreak is using Baseline@L3.1. When I render to MainConcept AVC and check the profile for the baseline it's also Baseline@L3.1. Maybe this is as high as Vegas supports.

My gosh, I Googled "h264 baseline" and found several hits. However, they read like Greek to me. Seems to somehow relate to "maximum decoded picture buffering" - what's that? I'm glad there are people who understand this stuff.

...Jerry

btw: Another workaround that seems to work nicely is that the SnagIt files will encode to Cineform using the free Cineform Studio app. It's just cumbersome to go thru these extra steps in the screencast process.
Elizabeth Davis

Post » Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:39 pm

Could try emailing them and mentioning the problem, sounds like they are not writing a full implementation of the file spec. :( Hence the converters work, they do write the header fully. Thats my guess anyway.

Paul.
Damian Parsons

Return to Vegas Pro Forum