STR-DH510: no picture or sound when connected to TV

Post » Sat Dec 31, 2011 6:20 am

I have a HD cable-box and a Bluray DVD player connected to the SAT/CATV and DVD HDMI inputs, the output is connected to a Panasonic TV which permits control over HDMI.
I noticed that by looking at the receiver’s display, if I have one of the inputs on, and the receiver NOT connected to the TV, I get sound, and the HDMI indicator along with the speaker pattern indication. But as soon as I connect the HDMI cable from the TV output to the TV, I hear a ‘click’ and the sound and HDMI and speaker pattern indicators go away, leaving only the volume number. When I unplug the TV, the sound comes back.
I did notice that If I unplug and plug back in the cable box a few times, It will start working, and the TV recognizes there is a receiver attached, along with a bluray player (I can now set the speakers to theater, and control the volume of the receiver, and I can also select the DVD player, the receiver switches its input and turns on the DVD player). The receiver will stay working until I turn off the TV. ( which is set to turn the HDMI connected equipment off) then the receiver won’t turn on again. I have HDMI.control to on, and tried setting hdmi.passthru to on, off and auto with no difference. If I set the TV to not turn off the equipment, when I turn off the TV, once I get it working, the receiver stays on, but this time when the source (the DVD player or cable box) is turned off and you turn it back on, the receiver again acts as if there is no inputs ( even though the receiver is still on)
What would cause the receiver to act as if there is no inputs when I connected the TV? And why when wiggling the input connection it would start up?
Very confusing.
Thanks

Chris
Cesar Gomez

Post » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:03 pm

Thank you for your post and welcome to the forums.
It is always a good practice to turn all involving devices when making cable alignment, as some device requires power cycle in order to be recognized and to avoid damaging the unit. Reset the receiver to factory default settings. With all devices connected, test the unit and make sure you are getting audio, video, able to change input, etc. Verify the receiver is functioning properly, and then start configuring the receiver one function at a time. Every time you make setting changes verify the receiver’s function. This way, you can identify which function or component is causing the issue.
If you have any difficulties, contact our support agents and they will walk you through the setup process or assist you in probing the problem. viewtopic.php?f=66&t=12311
Elizabeth Lysons

Return to Blu-ray Players