STRDN1040 loses the ability to show the cable content - screen goes black and no audio

Post » Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:05 pm

I bought a new STRDN 1040 and set it up 3 weeks ago. It worked great for 2-3 days and then the problem with the cable content began. We would turn on the cable to watch the news in the morning and after about 1 minute, both the sound and video would be gone (black screen - could see set-up menus if selected) and would not come back on after recycling the on/off through the remote. Once or twice disconnecting the main power to the receiver seemed to work, but that was also short lived. I also did resets, disconnected HDMI cable, etc. without solving the problem. All other content was fine (blueray, Apple TV and radio)...it only effects the cable box content. The Sony Chat, while very nice in attempting a fix, was not helpful or effective. I finally suggested that I change HDMI connections from the pre-identified #1 position to another and asked if it would work and what impact would that have on video/audio quality. The Chat didn't respond to my question -just suggested the HDMI input the change as if it was a new concept from him.

The long and short of it was that changing the HDMI input worked, but we'll see if it is long term. Is the original HDMI faulty and needs to be replaced or is there a software fix for this issue?

Kelvin Diaz

Post » Wed Nov 13, 2013 12:32 pm

This might be an HDCP (High-bandwidth Digital Content Protection) issue on your cable box. As what one of audio engineers posted on one of the threads here, "The receiver is the middle man and is simply passing communication back and forth between the TV and the source (i.e., cable box). If either the source or TV doesn't follow protocol every time then you can get issues like this. Cable isolation is one of the basic steps to determine the cause of the issue and is simply a good design practice."

We do have a software update available at Esupport http://www.designstudioschool.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=STRDN1040&template_id=1®ion_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab which we recommend to be downloaded on the STR-DN1040.

Emerald Dreams

Return to More Sony Products