OT: What's your default video player & why?

Post » Wed Jan 28, 2015 6:01 pm

Having recently upgraded across the board to Windows 8.1 on both the desktop and laptop in addition to moving to a Lumia 1520 as my mobile device I'm wondering if Windows Media Player is the preferred video player for checking my finished renders. I've run into some quirks with WMP with videos appearing with corrupted footage artifacts one day, then the next day appearing perfectly fine.

I loath Quicktime and have debated whether to install VLC as I'm wanting to keep my machines as pristine as possible from a maintenance standpoint (no third party codec packages like K-lite, etc).

Any thoughts?
Taylor Tifany

Post » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:33 pm

If you want to be pristine, then VLC is an option. It is fully self contained.

Windows Media Player and Media Player Classic Home Cinema use installed codecs.
WMP uses all codec subsystems on Windows. Media Foundation, DirectShow and Video for Windows.
MPC HC uses DirectShow.

If you used a DirectShow player and installed DirectShow codecs these cannot conflict with Vegas as Vegas does not use DirectShow. Vegas 12/13 is mostly self contained excepting AVI (Video for Windows) and Quicktime.

I currently have VLC installed on my PC but for years I had MPC HC via the K-lite standard install. I think MPC HC is a better media player for a home theater situation due to its greater flexibility, bit on a work PC VLC is just fine.
Isabell Hoffmann

Post » Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:28 pm

I use daplayer because the pause and rewind works better than vlc which glitches out if I pause etc.
jess hughes

Return to Vegas Pro Forum