Vignetting with 18-105 G OSS on the a7sii in 4K mode

Post » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:12 pm

Am I doing something wrong? This same lens works on my Fs7 and on the a7s. It works when set to 1920 x 1080 but shows the black circular vignette when in 4k. I assumed that this lens recommended by Sony for the Fs7 would be a no-brainer to put on the a7s ii. Why can the Fs7 record an un-vignetted image in 4k and not the a7s ii?

I see no crop setting except for the AOS-C/Super 35mm, and that's grayed out when using 4k.

Help!

WTW

Post » Wed Nov 25, 2015 9:06 pm

Hi Magpiemike,

In the ILCE7S, you will get vignetting if the APS-C Size Capture is set to OFF because it captures in 35mm full-size image sensor. If it is ON, it wont show the vignette since the camera know that you are using an APSC lens. If you use this function when recording in APS-C size, the video is up-converted to 4K output if you connect the camera and the 4K recording device via HDMI cable. You also need to set it in the menu [DMI 4K Output].

In the ILCE7SII, you will get vignetting if the APS-C/Super 35mm is set to OFF because it captures in 35mm full-size image sensor. If it is ON or AUTO, it wont show the vignette since the camera know that you are using an APSC lens.

According to specs, when you switch to movie mode or start recording a movie with [ File Format] set to [XAVC S 4K], [APS-C/Super 35mm] is locked to [Off]. When shooting 4K movies with the A7SMII, we recommend using a lens compatible with the 35 mm full-frame format. APSC lens is likely to show vignetting when using 4K. The sensor size of the FS7 is different from the A7SII sensor. If an APS-C size dedicated lens is attached, the edges of the screen may appear dark or will cause vignetting.

If my post answers your question, please mark it as "Accept as Solution".
Best regards,
Zander

liz barnes

Return to Cameras & Camcorders