What NLE do the folks at Sony Productions use?

Post » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:16 am

Hi---We all see many mainstream movies produced by Sony Pictures. What NLE are they using to edit those? Can't believe it's Sony Vegas Pro.

Just curious.
Leanne Molloy

Post » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:18 am

My guess would be Avid, which is what every big studio uses.
TIhIsmc L Griot

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:39 pm

Avid would be a pretty good bet but it could be anything, Sony Pictures doesn't dictate what editing system is to be used, that decision would typically be left to the director and editor.
Nymph

Post » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:14 am

What John said...
Sony Pictures is the film distributor. I doubt seriously they even have an editing workstation.
SaVino GοΜ

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:54 pm

Here's an interesting link for Careers at SONY Pictures.

I've gotta ask, back at yah, as nobody else has: What would you do or decide if you knew that they didn't use VP13 to "produce" Films?

Just curios . . . . .

Grazie

Conor Byrne

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:09 pm

OK, just re-read your opening post.

You've invited us to consider the following: IF SONY pictures made Films, how COULD they be doing this on VP? Implying that VP is of a statue NOT able to do this - got it! -

Would anybody like to agree or disagree with this?

"Just curious - Part 2"

Grazie

Julie Ann

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:30 pm

The OP "pondered" the same question recently here as well.
Mike Plumley

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:15 pm

Yes. I didn't see how much follow up there was after my original post. But there's been a lot of recent shakeup among the editing NLEs, especially with a number of people, apparently jumping ship from Apple to Premiere.
Manuel rivera

Post » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:04 am

I'd imagine they'd use what they're trained to use. IE if you replaced all the editors & staff with Vegas Pro users, the studio was change over. That won't happen because you're hired based on the software they use, not on the videos you produce. Unless you're really really good. :)

But it's like saying "How many here use Microsoft mice?" The idea being you use Windows, so why not use all Microsoft products.
Sara Lee

Post » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:13 am

"I'd imagine they'd use what they're trained to use."

Editors are trained to edit, the tool is irrelevant.

It's no different to the role of DP, they're trained to work with light and understand how that interacts with the limitations of the cameras the production can afford to use.

Bob.
Javaun Thompson

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:57 pm

Sony Pictures? well actually -no single NLE hands on. Its all on contract with producers who are on one hand on contract with dozens of other parties.

I venture to say there are half-dozen common players among the NLE editor crowd, and since we all know who those players are, there is no need to recount the bad news.
Alisia Lisha

Post » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:12 am

The difference is that those of us here using Windows don't work for or at Microsoft. So, the choice is ours. However, some of you may have noticed that Canon has been soliciting images recently, apparently for some new product advertising releases. And they quite specifically state that they ONLY want images taken with Canon lenses on specific Canon cameras.

It would be a PR nightmare if it came out that people at Sony were using alternative NLEs to do video editing.
Tha King o Geekz

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:01 pm

Sony is a HUGE corporation with MANY completely separate divisions. Sony Creative Software is a relatively small division in the grand scheme and SCS exists to service a specific subset of the video production community (Us!) With regard to Sony Pictures, they would no more dictate what NLE to use than they would dictate that they will only release films shot on their Cine-Alta cameras. Although it's quite likely that Sony Pictures uses SCS's "Blu-print" Blu-ray authoring software for at least some of their releases.

Regarding Canon requesting images taken with Canon cameras and lenses to use in an advertising campaign, the law says that they must use only images shot with their cameras in advertising for those specific cameras. I was working on a Windex glass cleaner commercial and the blue color of the Windex liquid just wasn't appearing as blue as it should on camera, the simple fix would have been to add some blue food coloring to the bottle but that was against the law, I ended up hitting it with a blue backlight and that was perfectly OK. Another time, I was working on a Hershey's Chocolate Syrup commercial and while we had to use unmodified syrup, we used mashed potatoes as a substitute for the ice cream, since we weren't selling ice cream, that was perfectly legal.
Anna S

Post » Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:22 am

RE: " It would be a PR nightmare if it came out that people at Sony were using alternative NLEs to do video editing. "

I doubt that much of their PR demographic has a clue, or cares about what video editing encompasses..
Lady Shocka

Post » Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:56 pm

"... people at Sony..."
As john said, "Sony" is huge. Sony Corporation owns a lot of smaller companies which are completely separate businesses. As long as the business unit is meeting projections, Sony corp is very much hands-off. This is why Sony Computers can license and bundle Adobe Elements.
Kate Norris

Next

Return to Vegas Pro Forum